Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Picture of the Day

Milestones, Milk and Patriotism

Any parent will tell you one of the greatest milestones is the baby holding their own bottle. We are extremely grateful for this new independence Andrew has gained, which equals more independence for us.

It was, however, the first milestone I missed. Andrew first did it about two weeks ago when he was home sick with Scott and I was at work. Scott did videotape the moment, so I did not miss too much. Now, I'm sure we've missed a few new milestones while Andrew was at daycare, but his handlers are very careful not to mention such things. In those cases, what you don't know won't hurt you.

This holding of the bottle brings me to the subject of milk. Andrew had digestive trouble and severe acid reflux, which seems to have improved dramatically with the introduction of solid food. However, I had to switch Andrew to soy formula when he was about 5 days old because he couldn't tolerate the milk based formulas.

TWO doctors have told me the same thing: "I'm just not convinced he has milk allergies". I've tried to tell them, but they think I'm a paranoid first time mom. So, I tried the milk based formula again this weekend.

Let me tell you. The subsequent explosions are mind boggling. It will knock you flat on the floor. But, there is no time to faint...that would be selfish. Half the time you need to just strip Andrew completely and head for the bathtub.

Donald Rumsfeld has caused quite the uproar by his interrogation techniques and admitting to using torture if deemed necessary. Honestly, he could borrow Andrew and get that intelligence information from Guantanamo Bay in a heartbeat. Just give Andrew some milk based formula and leave him with those stubborn detainees and watch what happens. Maybe this could be a way for Andrew to serve his country. He would be nothing if not patriotic.

Photo taken March 1, 2005.
Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter